Monday, August 23, 2010

Dilemma

Ok so here's my dilemma:
Before I left Illinois, Taegen was sleeping through the night. Going to bed around 9-10 and waking up around 7-8. (We didn't have a strict schedule when it came to bedtime and time to wake up. But we've got a better schedule down now). When I moved back to so ut he started waking up once a night and now, after 2 months he's now waking up twice a night. This in and of it's self is not a huge problem. Yes, it does suck for me, but it isn't a dilemma. The problem comes into play when you take into consideration that I'm working. Right now I'm only working part time, but I have to go full time at the end of the month, which means I'm having to pump. Because yes, I'm adament about continuing breastfeeding. It's what's best for Taegen, end of story.
When he was sleeping through the night, or even just waking up once a night I was still able to pump enough in the morning to get enough milk for his feedings while I was at work. But now that he's waking up twice a night, when I go to pump in the morning I only get 1/2 an ounce (if I'm lucky). Then including my night time pump he only has about 1-2 ounces, which is not enough for a 4 month old.
I've been told that now a days, it's best to wait until the baby is 6 months old to start him on any solids. But some babies are ready to start them as early as 4-6 months. (How do you know if your baby is one of the ones that are ready to start earlier than 6 months?) I don't want to feel like a bad mom for starting him on rice cereal early (even though it would only be for part of his bedtime feeding), but I don't know what else to do to help him sleep long enough for me to get enough milk in the morning. I fear when I go full time I won't be able to pump enough for 4 feedings instead of just 1 or 2.
I'm adding unpasteurized goats milk to some of his feedings to help out, but I don't know if adding more liquid is going to help him sleep longer. I am going to try that though. Today was the first day of adding goats milk to his feedings, so we'll see if it helps at all tonight. The goats milk will help lessen the stress on me about pumping enough, but I don't want him to only be drinking goats milk. I still want it to be mixed with as much breast milk as possible.
If I could get some advice on the subject on what other people have done, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks :)

3 comments:

Rob and Manda said...

First of all, you deserve much praise for continuing breast feeding. So many mothers our age don't do it at all which is a real shame. My doctor told me to start with cereal at 4 months. I added some of it to a breast milk bottle before bed as a transition to straight cereal. I never noticed a difference in her sleeping patterns. But she's never been a good sleeper, even 3 years later. Giving him cereal at 4 months certainly won't cause him any harm. If he doesn't like it though, back off and try again a week later. It can be frustrating for them learning to mash with their gums instead of suckling on a breast. Do you have an option to pump at work? Whatever you are able to pump during work can be used the next day for feedings. Good Luck!!

Chuck and Becky West said...

You might not like my advice, but let him cry at night. He doesn't need to eat twice during the night. It's just become a bad habit. It's hard to let them cry but it will be so worth it in the long run. He's old enough to go without eating during the night, he's already proven it to you! Just check on him to make sure he's safe and then turn off the baby monitor and go back to your room. If he sleeps in your room, move him somewhere else at night. You'll still be able to hear him good enough. If you don't do it at this age, he will be waking up at night until he's three years old! Trust me! Nip it in the bud. He'll be happier during the day and take better naps too, if he sleeps all night. I doubt his crying has anything to do with being hungry. He's just gotten into a bad habit and so have you. I know it's hard on you to let him cry, but best for everyone in the long run. Trust me!
---advice from his substitute Grandma Gina! :)

Danielle Button said...

Adding a small amount of rice cereal won't hurt anything. It will help him sleep longer. As far as getting more milk for him try the herb fenugreek. Then do "power pumping" where you use hot towels for 10th minutes then pump for 10 doing this for an hour each time will help with milk supply. Also try pumping for 10th after each feeding can help because it makes you body think he's eating more. If you can after you go full time try to pump at lunch so your supply doesn't decrease. You are so awesome for not switching to formula just because you have to work.