Sunday, March 17, 2013

The one with UT vs TX

There are a few things that I've noticed here that drive me crazy! Or just weren't what I was expecting. For example:

-We hardly see any cowboys or big trucks. Its Texas, I totally thought we'd see them all over. But nope. Of course we are in a big city and I'm sure if we went out a little ways away from the city they'd be every where :)
-There are bed bugs here! Ew ew ew! They aren't in our area or our apartment (or so we've been told) but they do have issues with them here.
-I feel like the lanes on the roads are smaller. Plus they don't have left turn lanes. They have them on the main busy roads, but thats about it. Back home I swear they are at every stop light. Not the stop signs necessarily but stop lights, yes. Here they don't even have them at most of the stop lights. The one to get to our apartment doesn't have one and I always feel like I'm going to get rear ended since every one behind me has to wait on me to turn.
-We couldn't find any razor refill cartridges, anywhere. Not even at Walmart. We finally ended up finding them on base at the PX.
-They don't sell Grandma Sycamore's bread or Wild Coyote Ranch (Jon's favorite and only kind he'll eat). The ranch is local to So Utah and the bread is only a Utah thing. Apparently they tried to sell outside of UT and didn't do well. Which is just so strange to me. Their bread is amazing. Its the only bread Jon would eat until we moved here. We had to search to find one that was bearable for him. He's seriously wanting his sister to overnight him both of them just so he can have them while we're here. And might I just add that I will always think it's weird that Fry Sauce is a Utah thing. How, after all these years, has it not caught on everywhere else?!?? I'm seriously baffled by this one.
-There are no landmarks to help distinguish what direction you're going. I knew this before we came out here, but what I didn't know is how much I relied on them to help me get around. Now I never know what direction I'm heading and I can get so confused and turned around. Which leads me right into my next point...
-I swear they don't believe in straight roads! Utah is built on a grid system. Makes so much sense, also makes it really easy to find your way anywhere. Here...not so much! Not having any landmarks on top of swerving roads has made it kind of difficult to get familiar with the area. I'm getting there, but knowing what direction something is from me is a different story. For example, our church is 15 or so minutes away and this whole time I thought it was north of where we are. I found out just yesterday that it's actually east. So confusing!!

No comments: