Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The one with a Thunderstorm and more

****/It has been stormy here all day and I was trying to teach Taegen what thunder and lightening are. He understood that when he heard the big boom, that was thunder. But when I asked him if he saw the lightening, he'd think I was referring to Lightening McQueen and ask me where he was. haha. I had to start calling it the big flash/light in the sky. He then started telling me that Thor was the one making the thunder and that the Avengers were on their way to us. :)
I mentioned in my last post that it rained on Easter causing us to move the egg hunt inside. Well when we got back to our apartment there was some pretty big puddles. In fact, the main road leading to our place was so flooded that once we got home Jon jumped into his truck so he could go out splashing in the huge puddles. He truly is a boy at heart :) While Jon was out splashing driving in the rain, Taegen had fun in the big puddles outside our door. 
Here's me and Ellie watching Taegs from a distance as not to get splashed with the dirty water. 


 Once Jon got back he joined Taegs in the water. By the time they were done they were both super wet. Taegen was completely soaked, head to toe! He LOVED it!

Taegen turns 3 next saturday, so crazy! Here's a little on him:
-Whenever you ask him to get you something, he'll "search" for it saying he can't find it, even though he knows exactly where/what it is you're asking him for. He'll intentionally look everywhere except where you're telling him it is. It gets really old really fast.
- Me: "Taegen, do you need to go potty"? Taegs: "Don't worry about that mom. Don't worry about it"! Oh excuse me, where did that attitude come from, holy cow.
- He now sings along with the radio. It's pretty cute, even if he doesn't know the song he'll try to sing along. But he really does know a lot of them.
- I was rocking Ellie to sleep the other day in her room, and I turn around and Taegen is in the rocking chair with his monkey trying to rock him to sleep.
- He plays "Hulk Smash". He makes an awesome face and "hulk" noises. He also refuses to wear a shirt when playing.
- He prefers to be naked. I make him at least wear underwear, but keeping clothes on this kid is like pulling teeth. I was the exact same way as a kid. Funny that thats the thing he gets from me.
- Taegs: "Boogers say ewww"
- Whenever he plays with his toys he actually makes different voices for each of the characters. Its fun to listen to him make them talk to each other.

More random tidbits about it here:
- There are lady bugs all over. I don't see them outside as much as I do in our apartment.
- I can't find any Dr Christophers herbal products anywhere. None of the health food stores here have them. I guess I'll just have to buy them online. Its really weird to me since he's such a big supplier.
- The commissary (grocery store on base) has baggers that bag your items, put them in a seperate cart and walk out with you. They also only work for tips. I didn't know this the first time I went there and I felt really bad when I had to tell the lady I didn't have any cash on me. In my defense I did try to go back and find her a couple days later, but she wasn't there. Now whenever I go, I just ask them to put my groceries back in my cart so I can take them out myself. Or I go to the self check-out.
- There are Subways EVERYWHERE. And I mean everywhere. Back in so Utah we have maybe 3 or something like that. I swear to you I've seen probably 20. There are way more Subways than any other fast food restaurant.
- The roads here are terrible. I've mentioned that they aren't straight, but now I'm referring to them being bumpy. They just barely re-paved one of the main roads that leads to the base and it is still super bumpy.
- They have what they call "Access roads" and "turnarounds". These are one way roads that run parallel to the freeway. When you get off the freeway you are taken straight to these access roads. There are a couple things I don't like about these. There are shops/buildings on this road, which means when you're pulling out of these parking lots you're trying to pull into busy traffic that is moving really fast (50 mph or so). Also, it makes it so if you need to get to something that is on the other side of the freeway you can't just get off and turn left and there you are. No no, you must pass it on the freeway, get on the access road, use the turn around (which is a lane that takes you directly from the access road you are on, onto the one of the opposite side of the freeway) and go back and find what you were looking for. Using these access roads means you have to exit off the freeway a lot earlier than you would normally. Also, it means you are stuck in traffic (especially if its rush hour) in two different locations. First the access road for up to a couple miles (depending how far you need to go), the freeway, then the access road again when you get off. I'm really not a very big fan of these. Plus they're super confusing at first.
- If you happen to be on base at 0830 or 1730 (8:30 and 5:30 for all you non military guru's) and you get stuck behind some car that has just stopped for some unknown reason. They are not just some jerk trying to cause a huge pile of cars to pile up behind him (like I was so sure of ). They are actually being respectful of "Colors". This is when they are putting up/taking down the flag. They play a song over a loud speaker so everyone knows to stop and face the flag and either salute or put your hand on your heart. Or in my case, since I was driving a vehicle, pull over to the side of the road. Luckily I didn't pass the guy. The only reason i didn't was because there was another vehicle in front of me that didn't pass him and was just "patiently waiting for him to decide to go again". Haha. Lesson learned.
- On base, pedestrians almost always have the right of way. There are some many soldiers/people walking around that I quickly learned this rule.
- I made Taegen some curtains for his room. They are reversible,Toy Story on one side and Cars on the other.

And can I just say, what is the big deal with the steve urkel type glasses? I've seen so many people wear them. Not so much in real life, but more so from pics on fb and blogs. I don't get it. I think they are absolutely hideous! No one actually looks good in them. Well thats just my opinion anyways. Maybe I'm just not that trendy/fashionable. Personally, I couldn't wear them with a straight face.

No comments: