Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The one with the SA Zoo

My workout buddy, Larina and I and our kids decided to go to the zoo. Since her husband is in the wounded warrior program, she's alone and always willing to do something. A lot like me :) So this was a perfect outing for us. Plus the kids loved it. Ellie and her daughter were a little young still, but Taegs LOVED it. 
Monkeys!
Taegs and Ellie next to the monkeys. As you can see, Ellie was not as into it all as Taegs was. 
Taegs cheesin it up as usual. 

 They only had 1 elephant. Well at least only 1 was out. This zoo was fairly small in the amount of each animal that they had. Plus they didn't have giraffes! What kind of zoo doesn't have giraffes?! 


 Larina showing Taegen where the Tiger was laying. 
 This tiger had a huge pen all to itself, super green and beautiful and this is where it decides to sleep. In the corner on a metal plate. Weird.


 This is a HUGE snapping turtle. They're probably all that big and I just didn't know that. But when we first saw it, it was standing right up next to the glass and I thought it was fake. It was in a really small tank. You know the ones you see that are just filled with small fish. Probably no wider and taller than 3 or 4 ft. He was completely still. Didn't move for quite a while. I was convinced it was fake, until he blinked an eye. Kinda freaked me out. Then he slowly opened his mouth super wide. Creepy but cool at the same time.



 Here we are sitting on a Komodo dragon statue. 
 If you look closely you can see the hippos in the backround. There were TONS of tiny fish in with the hippos that were feeding off/keeping them clean.

 This is an animal I had never seen before. It an Okapi, it is half zebra half giraffe. Totally crazy. It's hind legs are striped with a longer neck. Taegen really liked this one. He was waving to him and laughing. There was another kid looking at it at the same time and they got in a fight about what it was. Taegen was saying it was a zebra and the other one was saying it was a giraffe. :)
 So excited to see the Okapi.
 Here is Ellie and Ava. Ava is 1 month younger than Ellie but she's so chubby she makes Ellie look skinny, which she is most definitely not :) Gotta love chubby babies

 Taegs on the Komodo Dragon statue.
 And one more of the turtle that I was so fascinated with. haha. I was looking at the pictures on my computer once we got home and I asked Taegs what this was and his response was "a HUGE tortoise"  :)

We had a great day at the zoo. I didn't get a pic of all the animals that we saw just the ones Taegs really liked. He said his favorite was the elephant. He did also like the crocodiles, but those creep me out so I didn't get a pic of those.

No comments: