Monday, July 22, 2013

The one with the heros

We don't live on base, but we do go there almost every day for one reason or another. Ft Sam is a huge medical base. Hence the reason the schooling is done here. BAMC (Brooks Army Medical Center) is where the injured soldiers get sent upon returning to the states. Because of this we see a lot of injured soldiers. In fact, the other day I saw a group of bikers riding down the road and one of them had a double leg amputee. He was riding an arm controlled bike. I was immediately humbled to see this man, who had no legs, still continue with his regular life. It did not look like an easy task to ride that bike, but he looked like he was doing it with ease; talking with his friends and a smile on his face.

Taegen hasn't asked about any of the injured soldiers he's seen, which I think is awesome. He is seeing them for who they are, not the injuries they have. He constantly points out all the soldiers he sees, but never has he asked "why does that soldier not have any/only 1 leg(s)" or "why that soldier has multiple scars on his body (from burns)". And believe me he has has plenty of opportunities. We go to the gym and there is a group of soldiers who have had a leg(s) amputated, that play basketball in wheel chairs. We see people out walking doing therapy. We see them shopping at the PX/commissary. They live out their normal lives on base, so Taegen sees this in a part of his regular life as well.

I consider this just one of the blessings we are receiving from being here. We would not have the opportunity to see this many injured people back in UT. I'm hoping that this will also teach him not to stare or treat people with disabilities any different. They are normal people. Plain and simple.

Since we haven't had to talk to Taegen about any deployment that Jon will eventually go on, he hasn't connected that these types of injuries could happen to his own dad. And one day I'm sure we'll have to talk to him about it. But for now, I'm just thankful that my son is able to see these remarkable men and woman continue to live their lives. Yes life may be different, but all the ones I've seen still have a smile on their face. They honestly look happy, despite the hardships they've endured. That is a true hero to me.

No comments: