Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The one with the unsuccessful potty training

Potty training shortly before a baby comes, not really a great idea. However, Ellie was showing all the signs and was asking to do it. Otherwise theres no way I would have even thought to try. But since she wanted it, I gave in and we bought all the stuff (underwear and treats she picked out). We had to wait about a week before we had the time to just stay home for a while.
A few days before I was constantly reminding her we were gonna start potty training and she'd get to wear her big girl underwear and go potty in the big girl potty. She was still excited about it so we forged ahead. The day before her attitude changed. She kept saying she wanted to wear her underwear and get the treats, but was adamant she didnt want to go pee or poo in the big girl toilet. I started to worry but was still hopeful. I went to the library and got some books and an Elmo movie about potty training. She liked them but her attitude still hadnt changed.
This morning I let her eat breakfast then we changed her into her new underwear. At first she was so excited to use the potty as she knew she would get a treat. She intentionality would go sit down and pee to get a treat. Of course not much came out, but I was just excited she wasnt afraid of it. She did that a few times and I had hope she would do ok. Then after an hour things changed. She still wanted her treats, but didnt want to go potty. I started asking if she needed to go potty and she always said no, but an accident almost always followed shortly after. This was something I could work with though. Not worth giving up over. She then started getting upset over the idea of using the potty. It was almost like she became afraid of it. I never forced her to sit on the potty, just asked if she needed to go pee. She eventually started crying if I asked her if she needed to use the potty/go pee. And not just a little cry, but like a full blown melt down.
After multiple accidents and her crying over the idea of using the potty I decided to stop. I didnt want to traumatize her to the idea of using the potty and I felt that was more important than continuing with the process once we started. Im hoping in a few months she'll be open to the idea again.
I want to remember what happened with our first attempt so maybe I can do things a little different next time. Plus when we try again she'll be closer to 3 years old, Taegen will be in school and she'll be use to having a baby sister. No more change will be happening and hopefully that'll help. Heres to a more successful second try.

No comments: