Monday, May 7, 2012

It's about time

Taegen turned 2 last month and I knew I needed to break him of his binky habit. I've known I needed to do this for a long time but there was always an excuse (I wanted to wait until after the plane ride to visit Jon, then he got sick, then I wanted to wait until Jon got home and we had our own house again, etc) There was always an excuse I could fall back on to prolong this dreaded event. Now that we've been in our place for 3 month I know I no longer have an excuse to put it off.
I've read many different ways to go about doing it and making it easier on everyone involved. Last monday I took one of his binkies (I hid the others) and I cut some slits in it. I told him it was "broken" and it was giving his teeth "ouwies" so he couldn't put it in his mouth. I would let him hold it in his hand, but told him not to put it in his mouth. Well we all know how obedient 2 year olds are, and every time I went to get him from nap or bedtime he had the binky in his mouth. (He's only been allowed to have the binky for nap and bedtime for over 9 months now). He didn't really care that he didn't get the same sensation from sucking on it. He just wanted it in his mouth for comfort.
So today we threw it away. I literally made Taegen throw it in the trash can. I picked him up and told him that it was hurting his teeth so we needed to throw it away. He gave it kisses bye bye then happily threw it in the trash. I was hoping that was a good sign. I think I may have been wrong. I put him down for his nap a little before 1:30 and it's now 2:30 and he's just now stopped crying. I don't know yet if he's actually sleeping, but I sure hope he is.
I took away his binky during nap time about 6 months ago but he wasn't sleeping for very long (under an hour) so I ended up giving it back so he could get in a good nap. I'm getting the feeling it'll be the same this time around too. But I'm hoping that since he won't be getting it during bedtime either that he'll catch on more quickly and we all won't be miserable for too long.
I'm hoping this baby girl won't like binkys. I really don't want to have to do this again. Binkys can be so nice when they are young, but I almost feel that they cause more drama when they're older that using them at all isn't worth it. But we'll see how things go the next couple days. Hopefully we get SOME sleep.
Wish us luck :)

No comments: