This morning we woke up and ate breakfast. I then had him put a some big boy underwear (I keep wanting to call them panties. You'd never guess I grew out with only sisters huh?! haha), then I made him throw away his remaining diapers. You're supposed to throw away ALL of the diapers you have, but I had over 3 full packs so I let him throw away about 5 and last night I hid the rest of them in the babys room with the other ones. I figure she'll grow into them eventually so I didn't want to waste them. He didn't seem to really care that he threw them away. But I told him to say bye bye to the diapers because from now on he'll only be wearing big boy underwear, which didn't seem to bother him. I didn't expect him to catch on right away which is good, because he didn't. In only 3 hours we had gone through 8 pairs of underwear! (which is more than 1/2 of what I bought. They are way more expensive than I thought they would be so I only ended up buying 14, or 2 packs of 7). I was starting to feel a little overwhelmed. I'd put a new clean pair on him and literally within a minute he'd pee again. Luckily this only happened a couple times. I was trying to keep him entertained with bubbles, coloring, playing with his cars, watching his favorite shows, etc. He only had 2 accidents that I didn't catch, 1 of which was so small I couldn't find the pee spot on the floor, the other one happened when I was going to the bathroom so I couldn't catch him to put him on the potty. Go figure the one time I stop to go pee he decides to pee too. Stupid Murphy's Law! All the other times I have been able to catch him and stick him on the potty to finish peeing there. Any time he pees in the potty he gets a treat. I was even able to catch him right before he pooped so he ended up pooping in the potty! WooHoo!!! He was super proud of himself and helped me flush it down the toilet. He got a poop prize (the balloons) and was so excited! After that the next time he had to go pee he ran up to me and said "potty" and we made it to the potty in time!! That was so exciting for me. To see him catch on. Hopefully he'll continue to do go. Of course I know he won't be perfect by the end of the first day. But hopefully it will only take 3 days.
The method I'm doing has me telling him to "tell mommy when you need to go potty". I don't even ask him if he needs to go potty, nor do I make him just try to go potty. This does lead to more pee on the floor, but it's teaching him to learn his bodys signals for when he needs to go. Its a 3 day process, so we'll see how the other days go. Since I've "thrown away" all my diapers I'm also doing the night time training at the same time. I'm a little nervous to see how that goes. I'm supposed to make him go potty 2 times before going to bed, then wake him up an hour after he's fallen asleep to go, then wake him up and hour before he normally wakes up to have him go again. I'm also supposed to listen for him rustling in his sleep, since that could be a sign he needs to pee. (you only have to do all of this if you're child is not waking up with a dry diaper in the morning). The night time routine sounds intimidating to me, but we'll see how it goes. I made him go potty then I put him down for his nap. (He's sleeping now, thats the only reason I have time to write this). Hopefully he'll wake up dry. Let me just say that the only time I'm making him try to go potty is before bed or nap time. all the other times he's learning to listen to his body's signs.
Potty training is exhausting! I'm gonna sneak in a little nap while he's napping. I've been sick with a sinus headache, stuffy/runny nose and tooth pain these past couple days so that makes me even more tired. In the future I WILL NOT potty train unless I'm feeling 100% ok. Not a smart move on my part. Being pregnant and having to do it is bad enough, all the bending over is no fun. haha.
He only slept for 1 1/2 hours instead of his usual 2-3. But at least he DIDN'T PEE THE BED!! I was so excited to go up and get him and find his bed dry. He was super ornery so we went out and played with bubbles. Through all the excitement he had an accident and I didn't notice until it was over. The ground was all wet so I couldn't see the pee. He did tell me he peed, but only after it had happened. He did that twice, but then he made it to the potty twice after that! He seems to be catching on. He even willingly went poop in the potty again. 2 times in one day...YAHOO! I'm so glad he doesn't seem to be having a problem with that. I've heard of a lot of kids being afraid of it, so I'm hoping he'll continue to do ok. I know he can still regress tomorrow, but this afternoon went so much better than this morning. Gives me hope and motivation to stick with it tomorrow. haha
I tried to make him go potty as many times as possible before going to bed. He had a couple accidents then he went in the potty. I thought he would be good, but he was saying that "his tummy hurt" as I was putting him down. There was nothing I could really do for him, I told him good night and walked out. Literally two minutes later he started crying and sure enough he had peed the bed. 2 minutes into bedtime and he already has an accident. Doesn't bode well for tonight. They recommend making a bed up in his room to be able to watch and catch him if he does need to go. But I don't know how much I want to sleep on the floor being pregnant and all. He didn't have too full of a diaper this morning, so I'm hoping I'll be fine if I wake him up once or twice. Wish me luck!! ;)
Here he is right before bedtime in his big boy underwear :)
Don't mind the mess, I haven't had much time to clean today.

.jpg)



No comments:
Post a Comment