Thursday, May 31, 2012

potty training day 3

He woke up this morning and we immediately went potty. I think I had higher expectations for day 3. Its only 9 am and I'm hoping he improves throughout the day. It's been both good and bad this morning. He was watching Jon mow the lawn (while I was watching him) and when he came inside he had wet underwear. I couldn't find a spot on the ground/floor anywhere, but he went pee without telling me. :(

So discouraging!
(I didn't think I would be feeling this way on day 3. From the book on the method and just reading online, I thought day 3 was supposed to be so much easier. Granted it has gotten easier compared to day 1, so I guess that's saying something)

After that he ran into the bathroom with me close on his tail and when he stopped I heard him saying "blow nose, blow nose". I made him sit on the potty and he went, which is good. But he didn't actually tell me he needed to go. (unless him running into the bathroom was his way of telling me). He's getting the sickness that I had (sinus headache, runny/stuffy nose etc), and I'm wondering if thats affecting him. He started getting it yesterday. I don't want to resort back to diapers, but I don't know if continuing when he's sick is a very good idea either. UGH! I guess we'll just see how the rest of the today goes....

It's now 11am. I called my sister Kristel a few hours ago and just had a little break down. I was so frustrated and at a loss of what to do. While I was on the phone with her T said he needed to go potty. i was pretty sure this wasn't actually true, but of course I got off the phone and took him anyways. To my surprise he actually did have to go! And to make it better, we made it on time!!! Ever since then he's told me when he needed to go and we've made it on time. I think I just need to stop bugging him to "tell mommy when you need to go potty". He was getting to the point that every time I said that he'd say "NO POTTY MOM!" And would tell me he needed to go, but when he got there he would throw a fit when I put him on the potty. (hence part of the reason for my break down). He did have a poop accident, but I blame that on me because he was sitting inside his McQueen tent and I couldn't see him. I was busy doing something else instead of playing/watching him. He came up to me afterwards and said "mom potty, hurry". He had already gone in his underwear, but he did go pee in the potty. So hopefully I can catch him next time and make it to the potty. Hopefully things continue to improve...

I just put him down for his nap and he had 1 pee accident since the last update. I gave him apple juice in his sippy and he's had quite a few poop accidents. I still blame most of these on myself though. Since he was doing so good I've been relaxing a little bit on watching him. But he normally only poops 2 times a day or so. Not 3-4 all in the morning. I'm sure I could have caught them though. Looks like I just need to step things up once he wakes up. I don't want him to regress on the "last day".

I will say that I had a preconceived notion of what having a child out of diapers was going to be like and boy was a I wrong. I know these first few days are harder than normal, but I thought it would be easier than diapers. Let me just get this out there right now and say, ITS NOT! At least at first its not. I use to be able to let him roam the house or go outside without me worrying. Now I'm always worried that he's going to pee on the floor and I won't catch it and it'll start smelling up the house. Then theres the issue of wetting the bed. We both (Taegen and I) use to be able to sleep through the night, but not anymore. I know this was going to change once the baby came, but I wasn't prepared for it to happen right now.

I feel like there has been the least amount of progress today. There have been multiple times when he just looked at me or himself and just went pee. He wouldn't tell me he had to go. There has only been a few times that he actually told me he had to go by himself without me catching him and telling him he needed to go sit on the potty. He had more poop accidents after he woke up from his nap (while I was watching him this time). The only time he made it to the potty on his own after he woke up was the one time he saw me going potty, so he decided he wanted to go too.

I'm really frustrated. I dont know that I want to quit, but I don't know if he's catching on or maybe he just wasn't ready. I have always said that I would never push my child to be potty trained, but I honestly thought I was seeing signs of him being ready. The more people I talk to the more I keep hearing that night training takes longer than day time training. I think I might put a diaper on him at night. I dunno, is that going to be too confusing for him? I wish I knew what to do!! All I know is that I've about reached my limit.




No comments: